Happy Sad Smile...

On my way to work yesterday, the train was crowded as usual.
First things first, find a good seat. If none exists, find a seat. Having found one, drown myself in yet another new-found mobile game…
The same old path… same old scenes… another summer in Sydney, although after 3 long years!

‘Is that your son Ma'am?’
The burly voice shook me awake from my cocoon. Having stopped blasting enemies and collecting goodies in my mobile, I returned to normalcy and the buzzing world around me.
‘Is that your son Ma'am?’ A man in his late forties asked again to a lady accompanying a 7 year old boy.
The lady said ‘Yes’.
The man nodded with a smile, and I noticed how similar the mother and son looked. It wasn't too difficult to tell.
The man kept on smiling – a strangely cute smile for such a burly big man – spoke my stupid mind.

“Next stop…” as the voice boomed over the public announcement system in the train, the man got up, took a step close to the young boy and said “Young man, remember this when you grow up… Take good care of your mamma”.
The boy nodded, puzzled yet smiling… The mommy beamed, and nodded thanks…

I don’t know what went through the mind of that man when he spoke – I’ll never know.

All I noticed was that as he got out of the train and walked, he was wiping his eyes, and I think I saw a glimpse of happy-sad memories…

No comments: